Mixed Herb Chimichurri:
- 1/2 cup loosely packed parsley leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil
- 6 Tablespoons avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion
- 1 small red serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar, fresh lime juice, or lemon juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt, or to your taste
- 1 pkg boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1 1/2 pounds, 4-5 thighs
- 1 small red onion
- 20 cherry tomatoes, 2 cups
- Chop all the herbs together on a cutting board until they’re finely chopped with some bigger pieces (about 1/4″). You should have 1/2 cup chopped herbs total. Mix the chopped herbs together with the rest of the chimichurri ingredients, and set the sauce aside.
- Cut the chicken thighs into 1″ cubes and place them in a glass or stainless steel container. Pour 1/2 cup of the chimichurri sauce over the chicken cubes, mix to combine and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to marinate. Pour the rest of the chimichurri into an airtight container, refrigerate it only if you’re marinating the chicken for more than 1 hour. Chimichurri is best at room temperature, so if it’s refrigerated be sure to remove it and let it warm to room temperature before serving.
- If you’re using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in warm water for the time you’re marinating the chicken. This helps them not to burn to a crisp.
- When you’re ready to grill the skewers, preheat the grill over high heat.
- Cut the ends off the red onion and peel away the tough outer layer. Cut the onion in half and then cut into 1″ cubes. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, and then thread the pieces of chicken, onion, and tomato onto the skewers alternating as you go. Be sure you don’t pack the skewers too tightly or they won’t cook evenly. Continue making the skewers until all the chicken and veggies are gone, and discard any marinade leftover from the chicken.
- Lower the heat on the grill to medium/ medium-high heat maintaining a temperature of 350º – 400ºF. Place the skewers on the grill and grill for 8-10 minutes, or until the skewers are browned on one side and easy to turn over. Turn the skewers and continue cooking until the chicken is no long pink in the center, about 8 more minutes.
- Remove the skewers and serve immediately with the additional reserved chimichurri sauce on the side.