- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons diced red bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Teaspoon minced jalapeno
- 1/2 large ripe avocado, 4 ounces
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 Teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- Optional: 1/2 cup baby spinach for extra color (you can’t taste it)
- 1 large green plantain, 12 ounces
- 2–4 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 thin slice of ham, 4 ounces
- 4–8 eggs for 1–2 per person
- Mix together all the ingredients for the mango salsa and set it aside.
- Add all the ingredients for the hollandaise into a blender, and blend starting on low and working up to high. Blend until the sauce is completely smooth, and set it aside.
- Peel the plantain by slicing lengthwise through the skin, but being careful not to cut into the plantain. Peel the plantain using a spoon to help you peel back the tough skin. Slice the plantain on the diagonal into 1″ slices.
- Preheat a 9″ cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the pan is almost smoking, add 2 Tablespoons of the coconut oil and the plantain slices. Fry for 2-3 minutes per side, or until the plantain slices are golden and slightly tender.
- Remove them from the pan and flatten each slice into a 1/4″-1/2″ thick disc. I use the bottom of a salad plate to smash them and when ever they stick, I use a metal spatula to scrape them off. Place the flattened slices back into the cast iron pan, (adding the rest of the oil if necessary) and fry for 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy.
- While the tostones are cooking, bring a pot of water (3-4″ deep) to a boil, then reduce the heat to a bare simmer. When the tostones are done, keep them warm in the oven, and poach the eggs by slowly lowering them into the pan one at a time. After they’ve cooked for about 1 minute, use a spoon to make sure they’re not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook the eggs to your desired doneness.
- While the eggs are cooking, quickly sear each ham slice in a nonstick pan, about 30 seconds per side.
- Place 2-3 tostones per plate, top with the fried ham slices, poached eggs, mango salsa, and drizzle with the avocado hollandaise.
- Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins