I like a lip gloss that’s not too sticky. This lip gloss has all the glossiness without the inherent stickiness that usually accompanies it. It’s more moisturizing because coconut oil is the base, with just enough beeswax added to keep it from melting too easily. I added a bit of honey for a couple of reasons. First, honey is great for chapped lips because it’s a humectant, meaning that it attracts and retains water. Second, it adds a good amount of shine to the gloss as well as being moisturizing.
I noticed that this lip gloss lasts for at least an hour before absorbing, and it left my lips much softer and smoother. It will last longer if you use it in combination with a lip balm or chapstick that provides more of a base to keep it from absorbing as fast.
I like to use a raw coconut oil and raw honey for the most effective product. When you heat your ingredients together, be sure to keep the heat as low as possible to keep them raw.
My beeswax comes in a block, and it’s not too hard to grate a tablespoon here and there, but I just learned that you can by it in bead form now, eliminating the need for grating (just a heads up).
Melt the ingredients except essential oils over low heat until the beeswax is thoroughly dissolved. Next, remove it from the heat and place it over a small ice bath. Whisk it for about a minute until the mixture thickens. This step is important because it emulsifies the honey with the coconut oil. Finally, transfer your lip gloss to a clean container. This lip gloss will keep for 6 months if it stays in stable room temperatures, less if it’s really hot.
I used lemon essential oil because lemon is a favorite, but grapefruit smells really good too!
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon grated beeswax
- 1 Teaspoon honey
- 10-15 drops essential oil, my favorites are lemon and grapefruit
- Heat the coconut oil, beeswax, and honey over low heat in a small saucepan.
- When the wax is fully dissolved, remove from heat. Place the saucepan over a small ice bath and whisk until the lip gloss is emulsified and set, (about 1 minute).
- Add your choice of essential oil, and whisk to combine.
- Transfer to a clean container and use within 6 months.
This recipe was first posted by Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2016 Get Inspired Everyday!. All Rights Reserved.