Sometimes when I’m developing a recipe I get a little carried away and out of control! This Fajita Salad is definitely one of those cases – I had to reign it in and simplify things a bit. It started off innocently enough with the idea for all the fajita fixins over a salad, but pretty soon I added guacamole, grilled fajita veggies and I still needed a dressing – whew, you see what I mean? No body has time for that on your average work day, so… I scaled back and decided to turn the guacamole into a dressing of sorts.
It still ended up being more of a weekend type salad, but it’s so versatile that you need this salad in your life! I mean… the chicken alone warrants a recipe because it has all the fajita flavor without marinade times to worry about, (that means no prepping ahead of time). I am serious though, I’m giving you the chicken by itself, in a separate recipe because you’ll need it for all kinds of grilling endeavors over the summer! I love recipes where you can take pieces and parts, then mix and match them to your liking.
1) double the grilled veggies for eggs or over sweet potatoes
2) grill 2 batches of chicken and freeze half for a pre-done option
3) lastly – always make extra guacamole because it makes great lettuce wraps the next day (not too much though, it only keeps 2 days)
For the grilled veggies, 1/4″ – 1/2″ slices is perfect. If you don’t have a grill pan, you can sauté the veggies indoors on you stove top but I definitely recommend the grill for authentic fajita flavor!
I start the chicken and veggies together, the chicken gets done about 8-10 minutes before the veggies and it has time to cool a bit while the veggies finish. It works better if all the grilled items aren’t piping hot – you don’t want your salad to wilt too much!
To make this dairy free, simply for-go the cheese or substitute a dairy free cheese of your liking!Print
- 1 recipe Grilled Fajita Chicken (the recipe is below)
Grilled Fajita Veggies:
- 2 medium onions, peeled and the ends cut off
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and seeded
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1 Tablespoon onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon jalapeno, minced
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 2 heads romaine (weighing 2.5 pounds)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (adjust more or less to your taste)
- 3/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- lime wedges for squeezing over your finished salad at the table
- I like to start this salad by combining the spices with the chicken in the recipe below so the flavors can steep while you prep the rest of this recipe.
- Slice the onions and bell peppers into 1/4″-1/2″ slices and toss them with the sea salt, cumin, and avocado oil. Place the veggies in a grill pan.
- Prepare the salad ingredients by washing and drying the lettuce. Place the lettuce in a serving bowl and top with the crumbled feta, pumpkin seeds, and cherry tomatoes – you can also serve them separately in individual bowls and let everyone customize their toppings.
- Preheat the grill over high heat.
- While the grill heats, make the guacamole dressing by mashing the avocados, garlic, onion, and cilantro together until the mixture is mostly smooth with small lumps. Stir in the jalapeno, sea salt, lime juice, and cherry tomatoes. Set the dressing aside.
- Place the prepared chicken and grill pan of veggies on the grill. Immediately lower the heat to medium high. Cook for 6-8 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken. A great trick to tell when your meat is ready to turn, is you’ll be able to pick it up off the grill without it trying to stick.
- After you turn the chicken, use a wooden spoon or a separate pair of tongs to stir the veggies.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the grill to cool while the veggies finish. To get a seared flavor on the veggies, it’s best to turn the grill up to high, but you’ll need to keep an eye on it and stir them every few minutes. The veggies take between 8-10 to finish cooking after the chicken is finished.
- Slice or chop the chicken to your liking and serve the grilled veggies, chicken, guacamole dressing, and the prepared salad together with additional limes wedges.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- 1 pkg chicken thighs, boneless, skinless and weighing 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 Teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 Teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Mix together the seasonings and coat the chicken with the mixture.
- If you’re also making the Fajita Salad, let the chicken set until you’re far enough along with the recipe.
- If you’re using the Fajita Chicken for another use, place it on the preheated grill and immediately lower the heat to medium.
- Cook the chicken for 6-8 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your meat the time may vary.
- If your grill is properly cleaned, you will know the meat is ready to turn because it won’t stick to the grill.
- Serve the grilled chicken with the Fajita Salad, or alongside whatever Mexican meal you’re making!
If you can’t find ancho chile powder, regular chile powder will work, but definitely try to find it because it’s flavor is much more subtle and fruity than a regular chile powder!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins