This Refreshing Peppermint Sugar Scrub is one of the easiest homemade skin care recipes you can make with just 3 ingredients! It’s both moisturizing and exfoliating, and it makes a wonderful homemade gift as well. It keeps for months in a tightly sealed container and can be customized to whatever essential oils you love as well. The peppermint is extra refreshing during the warmer months, but any essential oil works here.
Sugar scrubs are one of my favorite remedies to rough/dry winter skin. I always have the best of intentions going into winter that I’m actually going to moisturize everyday. But life gets busy, and it ends up being more like once a month instead of everyday.
After a few months of this negligence, the cold weather really takes it’s toll, and my skin starts to have some permanent dry patches. Whenever this happens, exfoliation is always the way to go to start getting back to soft skin.
I love making my own sugar scrubs because they work so much better than store bought. They’re also way cheaper, and you can make them in just a couple of minutes! They’re ultra hydrating, and they simultaneously rub away the rough outer layer while deeply moisturizing your whole body.
I’m always on board for the 2 for 1 principle. If I can exfoliate and moisturize at the same time, it’s way more likely to actually happen.
Let’s get started by talking about the ingredients for this recipe
- Organic Cane Sugar – I use organic cane sugar because the crystals are a bit bigger than regular white sugar and I like how it exfoliates.
- Coconut Oil – I love using coconut oil here, but jojoba oil works really well too and it’s easier to mix into the sugar.
- Essential Oil – this recipe calls for peppermint essential oil which has a refreshing cooling effect. But you can use any essential oil you’d like here, or none at all.
Start by adding the sugar and the coconut oil to a medium sized mixing bowl.
Then using the back of a spoon, mash the coconut oil into the sugar until it’s fully mixed in. From there you can add the peppermint essential oil and stir it in.
Transfer the sugar scrub to a tightly sealed container and use within 6 months. I like to use 1 cup mason jars.
Tip: You can get green glass mason jars now which make the perfect container to put this sugar scrub in for a gift!
Peppermint is my new favorite kick because it’s so refreshing first thing in the morning. I currently have a shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, and now sugar scrub all in peppermint – maybe it’s overkill, but maybe not!
I love using peppermint products in combination with a cool/cold rinse in the shower. The cool water intensifies the cooling effect of peppermint, and it’s a great way to wake up in the morning. When you follow the cooling shower with my Cooling Aloe Mint Lotion it’s the perfect way to feel refreshed throughout the summer months.Print
This Refreshing Peppermint Sugar Scrub is one of the easiest homemade skin care recipes you can make with just 3 ingredients! It’s both moisturizing and exfoliating, and it makes a wonderful homemade gift as well. It keeps for months in a tightly sealed container and can be customized to whatever essential oils you love as well.
2 cups organic turbinado sugar
1/2 cup room temperature coconut oil
1/2–1 Teaspoon peppermint essential oil
- Thoroughly combine the coconut oil and sugar by mashing the coconut oil into the sugar with the back of a spoon.
- When the coconut oil is completely mixed in, add the peppermint essential oil, starting with the lowest amount called for, and working up if you want it to be extra minty.
- Store in a tightly sealed container and use within 2-3 months. I store mine in mason jars and it works really well.
- To use the sugar scrub, scoop out anywhere from 2-4 Tablespoons, and while you’re showering lightly rub the sugar scrub over your whole body before rinsing it off. Be careful not to slip because the oil in the scrub can make some showers slippery, and you might even want to rinse the bottom of the shower with soap after you use this scrub.
Note: Sugar scrubs are never suitable for you face because the skin is too delicate.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Category: DIY
- Method: Mixing
Keywords: Easy Sugar Scrub, Peppermint Sugar Scrub, 3 Ingredient Peppermint Sugar Scrub, Peppermint Exfoliating Scrub
This post was originally published in 2016, but had been updated with new photos, new information and lots more new tips!