- 2 cucumbers, 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 cups slivered red onion, 1/2 medium, 5 ounces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Teaspoon sambal oelek chili paste, or 1 Teaspoon red pepper flakes, see notes
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, or rice vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt, or to your taste
- Slice the ends off both cucumbers, and peel a few strips of the skin away with a vegetables peeler. Then cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise, and lay each half flat side down on the cutting board. Cut the halves, 1 or 2 at a time, into thin slices. On the bias looks nice: to do this, hold the knife at a 45º angle to the cucumber and slice into thin diagonal shaped pieces.
- Add the sliced cucumbers to a serving bowl along with the slivered onions, and cilantro.
- Mix the dressing together by whisking the chili paste, maple syrup, lime juice, and sea salt together until completely mixed.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate and serve within one week.
If you’re not much for spicy food, start by adding a smaller amount and working up to your taste. I would classify this salad as warm to medium, but it can be made as mild of hot as you’d like.