The recipe title Chocolate Covered Cherry Smoothie pretty much tells you everything you need to know about this addictive smoothie. But what it doesn’t express is just how good this really is. It’s hard to define, and I don’t seem to have words for how much I love this smoothie.
Suffice it to say, the sparkle in Tyler’s eyes and the way his face lit up when he tasted it, told me I’m not alone in my new addiction. I’ve always been a big smoothe fan, and while he likes them too, I’ve never seen him get this excited over a smoothie!
I think what makes the flavor so good, is there’s no bananas in there. Not that I have anything in particular against bananas. They’re just way too overpowering for more delicate flavors like cherries. So I kept it super simple, sweetened it with just a few medjool dates, and that’s what keeps the flavor purely chocolate cherry, with just a hint of almond.
To make this super quick and simple to make, try using frozen pitted cherries. Since we’re in the middle of our local cherry season, I’ve been pitting them by hand to make this smoothie because it’s 100% worth it!
The color of this smoothie definitely changes every single time I make it. This is because no two batches of cherries are exactly the same color. In the photos here, I used frozen organic cherries from Costco which gives you a purple/mauve color. But when I’ve used our local cherries, the color is much redder because our local cherries aren’t as purple as the ones from the store.
No matter the color, you’re definitely going to love the flavor! And speaking of flavor, this smoothie keeps really well for 2 days in the fridge. The flavor stays awesome, but it does get thicker over time, which I think has to do with the natural pectin in the cherries.
If you’re using frozen cherries, you may need to use the tamper to keep the smoothie mixture moving. But if you’re using fresh cherries, you’ll want to add a couple cups of ice cubes to the blender to make sure it’s frosty cold!
- 4 cups frozen pitted sweet cherries, or fresh pitted cherries
- 4-5 Medjool dates, pitted and cut into quarters
- 1 cup coconut milk from the can
- ½ Teaspoon almond extract
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- Place all the ingredients into a high powered blender in the order listed. If you're using fresh cherries, add 1-2 cups of ice cubes.
- Turn the blender on and slowly increase the speed to high. Blend at high speed until the smoothie is completely smooth.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve within 2 days.
- The smoothie gets thicker as is sits in the refrigerator, sometimes almost to a pudding consistency.
This recipe was first posted by Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2016 Get Inspired Everyday!. All Rights Reserved.