I love the combination of salty feta cheese against crisp, juicy watermelon. Whoever first put those two together must have known immediately it was destined to be a classic! Today, I’ve rolled this flavor combo into a refreshing and healthy quinoa salad. So… for all those summer picnics and potlucks coming your way, this is the answer!
I used a mini seedless watermelon because it’s easier to handle, but it really doesn’t matter as long as it’s crispy and sweet. Start by cutting 1/2″ slices (above left hand photo), then cut the slices in half (above right hand photo). Trim away the rinds, (bottom left hand photo) and then cut the watermelon into a small dice, about 1/2″ x 1/2″ (bottom right hand photo).
Trim the end from the cucumber and slice it into eighths lengthwise. Thinly slice crosswise to make small triangles and add the cucumber to a serving bowl with the cubed watermelon.
Once the quinoa is cooked and cooled, toss everything together including the dressing if you’re serving it immediately. The dressing and salad are better kept separately if you’re not quite ready to serve it. Once the dressing is combined with the salad, the watermelon and cucumber will start to shed water, and will become soggy over time.
Hope you enjoy this little taste of summer!Print
- 1/2 cup pre-rinsed quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups (15 ounces) watermelon, 1/2″ dice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cucumber, weighing 5 ounces
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt
- Place the quinoa in a small saucepan and pour the water over it. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the saucepan. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until all the water has absorbed and the quinoa is tender, set aside to cool to room temperature, (you can place it in the fridge to speed things up a bit).
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Add the diced watermelon and crumbled feta cheese to your serving bowl.
- Cut off the end of the cucumber and slice it lengthwise into eighths. Then cut the slices crosswise into a small dice, and add them to the serving bowl.
- Add all the vinaigrette ingredients to a blender and blend on low speed until thoroughly combined with small bits of cilantro remaining.
- When the quinoa has cooled to room temperature, add it to the serving bowl with the prepared watermelon, cucumber, and feta cheese. Pour the dressing over the top and mix thoroughly.
- Serve immediately, or chill in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours, after that the watermelon and cucumber start to become a bit soggy.