These Double Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies are flourless and perfectly fudgy. They’re naturally gluten free, dairy free, and paleo as well. They’re a huge hit with everyone, and make a perfect homemade gift!
We’ve been making these chocolate cookies for over 6 years now. And I have to say they’re still just as big of a hit as they were the first time I made them. They’ve been my go-to when I need a super easy cookie in a hurry because you can mix them together in just minutes!
So whether I’m making them because we have a cookie craving, or I need some to give away, this recipe is my #1. It’s also fairly predictable that everyone loves them… after all they’re a double chocolate situation. We both love them fresh out of the oven, with gooey centers and crispy edges.
These cookies are naturally gluten free and dairy free because they’re a flourless cookie. The almond butter is what you use in place of flour, and it does double duty to provide what you would normally get from the flour and butter. This also means you don’t even need a mixer to make these – you just need a few minutes, and you’ll have cookies in the oven!
Alright, first up let’s talk about the ingredients:
- Almond Butter – this makes up the base of the cookies. It provides structure and allows these to be flourless as well.
- Coconut Sugar – makes the perfect natural sweetener for cookies. It has similar properties to regular cane sugar and produces the right texture. I have had different people write to say they successfully decreased the sugar in this recipe. But just know that the amount called for is what will give you the texture you see in these photos.
- Cocoa Powder – works together with the almond butter to make the perfect flourless cookie.
- Eggs – bring the almond butter and cocoa powder together and they help to make that chewy texture.
- Vanilla Extract – I love adding just a touch because it enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Chocolate Chips – this is what makes these cookies ‘double chocolate’ and I like to use the Enjoy Life brand because they’re free of many common allergens.
And now, let’s jump in with how to make these Double Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies step by step!
First up add all the ingredients except the chocolate chips to a medium sized and mix until smooth.
Then mix in the chocolate chips just to combine.
Next portion the cookie dough out onto a parchment lined baking sheet. You can use a cookie scoop or a pair of spoons for this. I like to keep mine around 2 tablespoons which yields a 3-4″ sized cookie.
And finally we’re going to bake them! As with all cookie recipes (and baking recipes for that matter) start checking them before the baking time is up. Not everyone’s oven is exactly same, and you don’t want overdone cookies.
Be sure to take them out when they’re still soft and a bit fudgy in the middle!
I think these cookies are at their best on the first day because they’re fudgy with crispy edges.
Storage Tips for these Double Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies:
- These cookies do keep well in an airtight container in the freezer, but when they thaw, they’re fudgy and chewy without the crispy edges.
- You can also keep them in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days. They get softer as they sit, and will get a bit drier each day, (which is why I freeze mine).
More Cookie Recipe Inspiration:
- Glazed Paleo Sugar Cookies
- Grandpa’s Molasses Ginger Cookies (gluten free)
- Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Cookies (paleo)
- Healthier No Bake Cookies (paleo & gluten free)
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies (gluten free & dairy free)
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- Chocolate Chunk Salted Caramel No Bake Cookies (gluten free & paleo)
- Gooey Cranberry Orange Skillet Cookie (paleo & gluten free)
I hope you get a chance to make these cookies soon, and if you do, I hope you’ll leave me a comment/rating below. I always love hearing from you here in the comments. And also over on Instagram where you can tag me at #getinspiredeveryday with your photos of what you make.Print
These fudgy cookies will quickly become a household favorite for their deep chocolate flavor, and because they’re so easy to make!
1 cup blonde coconut sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 cup smooth almond butter
2 large eggs
2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand)
Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the coconut sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda until no more cocoa powder lumps remain.
Stir in the almond butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and chocolate chips until a stiff dough forms.
Using a spoon, scoop out a bit of cookie dough (2 Tablespoons) and roll it into a ball. Place the formed cookies on the prepared baking sheet. You can fit 12 cookies on a regular sized cookie sheet.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crunchy on the edges, but still soft and fudgy in the middle. Bake the remaining cookie dough, and cool the cookies to room temperature before storing.
Enjoy immediately and freeze any leftover cookies for another day! You can store them in an airtight container on the counter up to 3 days, but they will get drier with time.
- Category: Baking
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Flourless Chocolate Cookies, Gluten Free Chocolate Cookies, Paleo Chocolate Cookies