I’ve been mixing up my smoothies quite a bit lately, and it’s been lots of fun! The idea for this one is based off some rather unhealthy morning glory muffins I used to make. They had the best warm cinnamony flavor, sort of reminiscent of carrot cake, (which I have a healthier version of coming soon). And I thought those flavors would make for an awesome smoothie, especially when I’m craving something sweet in the morning.
So I went to experimenting a bit, and in no time at all this lightly spiced, creamy – dreamy smoothie became my new breakfast. I’ve also been playing around with adding boosting ingredients, so turmeric seemed like a good place to start with this sunny yellow smoothie. I added just a hint so it wouldn’t be bitter, but feel free to add to your taste.
I also included some walnuts in there for healthy fats, and some optional collagen for protein and general healthy benefits. All in all, it turned out to be a powerhouse of a smoothie, with all my favorite flavors, and none of processed ingredients of those muffins I used to make.
And if you want to step up your smoothie boosters game even more, you can always try a sprinkle of bee pollen over the top.
Since this smoothie does have carrots in it, a high powered blender will give you the best smoothest texture.
This smoothie is best consumed right away because I’ve found the flavors don’t sit well over time. Something about the carrots and banana together shouldn’t sit in the fridge for hours much less days.
And finally for a presentation tip: to get the swirling pattern along the sides, add a few streaks of coconut milk down the sides of your jars/glasses. Then after you fill the glasses with smoothie, use a toothpick to swirl the coconut milk around the sides of the glasses.
I never bother with that kind of presentation on a normal day, but it’s fun to do for brunches/bridal/baby showers, Mother’s Day and pretty much any kind of day where you want things to look a little more special.
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, 8 ounces
- 1 small slice fresh ginger, ⅛ ounce
- 2 bananas, peeled, fresh or frozen
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1" chunks, 6 ounces
- ½ cup coconut milk from the can
- 1 cup coconut water
- ½ Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon ground turmeric, or to your taste
- ¼ cup raw walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups ice cubes
- Optional: collagen powder or vegan protein powder for vegan, and a sprinkling of bee pollen, (omit for vegan)
- Place all the ingredients into a high powered blender in the order listed.
- Secure the lid and blend starting on low speed, and working up to high.
- Blend until it's completely smooth, and serve immediately.
This recipe was first posted by Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2016 Get Inspired Everyday!. All Rights Reserved.