Full of flavor these Garlic Butter Chicken Thighs are made into a full sheet pan meal with some added potatoes and green beans. It’s easy to make, and these classic flavors are popular with everyone, making this extra family friendly for weeknight dinners. It’s also naturally gluten free as well which is an extra bonus. Be sure to check out the recipe notes for my dairy free option which might just become your new favorite.
Is there ever a time when garlic butter isn’t welcome? Probably not, and this classic combo is very tasty over chicken thighs as well. And since I like to keep things simple around here, I turned those chicken thighs into a sheet pan meal. One and done with this easy to make dinner!
So grab your biggest sheet pan and let’s get cooking. You’ll need just 6 ingredients for this wonder of a meal, and a few minutes of prep work. The oven does the rest for you while you clean up, and go about your day. This truly is my favorite comfort food sheet pan dinner for a busy weeknight.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Chicken thighs – bone-in and skin on chicken thighs are what I’m using here because they have a similar cooking time to the potatoes. You can use boneless skinless but be careful not to overcook them. I would partially roast the potatoes before adding boneless chicken. Boneless skinless chicken breasts take around 20-25 minutes and chicken thighs take around 15-20.
- Potatoes – make this a full meal, but you can use sweet potatoes as well. Yukon gold potatoes have the best browning and roasted texture. You can also use russet or red potatoes as well, but Yukons are definitely the best. Or omit the potatoes for a low carb version, and add more green beans at the end if you want to serve this chicken with a different side dish.
- Green beans – are perfect to slide in towards the end of the cooking time. Broccoli works as well but it takes up more space and things get crowded.
- Butter or Ghee – for the garlic butter of course, but you can use olive oil for dairy free. Or my absolute favorite option for dairy free is leftover bacon grease – so good!
- Garlic – fresh is best here and you can use a garlic press to help speed things up. I don’t recommend the jarred garlic, instead try garlic powder which has a better flavor.
- Herbs – rosemary and thyme are my top 2 choices for fresh herbs here. For dried I like either Italian seasoning or Herbs d’ Provence.
How to make this recipe step by step
Step 1: Start by melting the butter, then add the garlic and your choice of herbs to the mix.
Step 3: Place the cubed potatoes and chicken thighs onto a large baking sheet.
Step 4: Stir the salt and pepper into the garlic butter and evenly drizzle it over the potatoes and chicken. Toss the cubed potatoes around a bit to coat them in the mixture, then bake until almost done.
Step 5: Add the green beans near the end of the cooking time and cook just until the beans are tender and chicken is done.
Yes but you will need to adjust the cooking time. Boneless skinless chicken breasts take on average 25 minutes to cook at 425ºF. So you’ll need to let the potatoes roast for 10-15 minutes before adding your chicken breasts.
Yes but be careful not to overcook them! Boneless skinless chicken thighs cook on average in about 15 minutes at 425ºF so you’ll want to add them about 5 minutes before you add the green beans.
- To store – place in a sealed container and keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- To reheat – place in a small skillet with a touch of water. Then cover and reheat over low heat simmering until the water is gone. Uncover and eat when heated through. This helps the potatoes to rehydrate as well, they will get crumbly/chalky in the refrigerator. Or you can microwave.
- To freeze – I don’t recommend freezing the veggies because they won’t retain their texture. But the chicken thighs can be frozen in a sealed container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat as directed above.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to keep an eye on this sheet pan dinner towards the end of the cooking time so it doesn’t brown too much. Some ovens heat more from the top and others heat more from the bottom. So monitor to see what’s happening as the potatoes roast, and after the green beans go in!
- Definitely try all the different herbs, you can’t go wrong with any of the options! We love rosemary so it’s become our go-to, but they others are great variations.
I really hope you enjoy this Garlic Butter Chicken Thighs sheet pan dinner! If you do get a chance to make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you in the comments.Print
Full of flavor these Garlic Butter Chicken Thighs are made into a full sheet pan meal with some added potatoes and green beans. It’s easy to make and these classic flavors are popular with everyone making this extra family friendly. It’s also naturally gluten free as well which is an extra bonus. Be sure to check out the recipe notes for my favorite dairy free option which might just become your new favorite.
4 chicken thighs, bone in skin on, 2 pounds
4 tablespoons ghee, salted butter, or olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or thyme, or 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1” cubes, 4 cups
1 pound frozen or fresh green beans, thawed
Preheat the oven to 425ºF. If your green beans aren’t thawed, take them out now and let them sit at room temperature. They will need an extra 5 minutes or so cooking time.
Melt the ghee or butter over medium heat, then mix together with the garlic, rosemary, sea salt and pepper.
Place the cubed potatoes onto a large cookie sheet, (17″x12″) then add the 4 chicken thighs.
Drizzle the chicken and potatoes with 3/4 of the garlic butter sauce. Toss the potatoes around just to coat them. Then in a separate bowl, toss the thawed green beans together with the remaining garlic butter and set them aside.
Bake the chicken and potatoes until mostly done, 25 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 450ºF.
With a spatula, scoot the potatoes and chicken together into the center to make room for the green beans. Add 1/2 of the green beans to one side of the baking sheet and the remaining half on the other side.
Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is done in the center and the green beans are tender. The internal temperature should reach 170ºF on a thermometer. Serve immediately.
For a tasty dairy free option, try bacon grease in place of the olive oil!
Serve with a lemon slices for squeezing over the top for a lemon garlic butter chicken thighs variation. The lemon juice is also tasty over the potatoes and green beans.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Garlic Butter Chicken, Garlic Butter Chicken and potatoes, Chicken, potatoes, and green beans