“Frozen açai blended with banana and pineapple juice, topped with local banana, granola, and yogurt – texting this so I don’t forget what’s in it!” This is the text I received from my sister who was in Kauai last week, which promptly inspired a trip to the grocery store to recreate this delicious sounding tropical amazingness, (it was 40ºF and raining in Montana, but what are you going to do?)!
Açai purée comes in these handy smoothie packs that make just enough smoothie for 2 breakfast bowls!
Always add your smoothie ingredients from the juiciest to the most solid frozen items – this really helps things blend smoothly and not get stuck.
I used pineapple and mango chunks to top off my breakfast bowls, but you could use any fruit you have handy, or that’s in season. Because açai is a berry, it pairs pretty well with almost everything.
For the macadamia nuts, a rough chop is fine – some bigger pieces add texture!
A few weeks back I made a Montana version of these popular breakfast bowls with huckleberries, and while they’re really delicious, I wanted to give the original a try. Açai doesn’t taste that fabulous plain, but something magical happens when it’s blended with tropical fruits, and it becomes aromatic with a depth of flavor all it’s own. My latest variation to the smoothie bowl concept, is to eliminate the granola and replace it with roughly chopped macadamia nuts, making this breakfast even more decadent. If you want to remain more traditional, try my Banana Granola, but I’ve got to tell you, chopped macadamia nuts is much simpler.Print
- 5 ounces pineapple chunks, (raw – not from a can if possible)
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- 1 pkg frozen açai purée
- 1 mango, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped macadamia nuts (I like them roasted, but raw is fine too)
- Optional spoonfuls of yogurt of choice to further enhance the decadent nature of this breakfast
- Place the smoothie ingredients into the blender in the order listed, this helps it blend better.
- Blend starting on low and working up to high until the mixture is completely blended (use the tamper if the mixture isn’t moving very well).
- Pour the açai smoothie into 2 bowls and top with the fresh fruit, macadamia (or granola), and yogurt if you desire.
- These smoothie bowls are infinitely customizable. Vary the toppings according to your preferences and what’s in season!
- Prep Time: 15 mins