This recipe started off as the vaguest of ideas. I was actually procrastinating the task at hand and thinking about food, (what else is new?) when I had this thought, ‘wouldn’t it be nice if the whole house could smell like apple pie, without actually making apple pie’.
That was really all it took to spark an idea, and from there this recipe for Slow Cooker Apple Pie Filling was born. And the best part is, your house really will smell like apple pie for hours while this cooks!
I used Granny Smiths in this recipe because they’re widely available. However you can use any baking apple of your choice. I personally love to use McIntosh whenever they’re in season.
You want to peel, core, and quarter the apples. Then cut each quarter into 4 equal slices.
Next you’ll mix together some spices along with a touch of maple syrup and lemon juice which I find really brightens up the flavors of apple pie filling.
The apple slices are piled into a slow cooker, and the spice mixture is poured over the top. I like to toss the apples to evenly distribute the spices. Then the slow cooker does all the work cooking the apples and making your house smell like pie.
One the filling is done, it’s time for the fun part – choosing an ice cream flavor! Not surprisingly it goes well with my Vanilla Bean Ice Cream as well as my Maple Ice Cream. But my Homemade Coconut Ice Cream is also fantastic with this, as well as being dairy free, which is always a bonus!Print
- Peel, core, and quarter the apples. Then cut each apple quarter into 4 equal slices. Place the apple slices into a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Mix together the tapioca, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and sea salt until combined. Add the maple syrup, and whisk until the tapioca has completely dissolved into the syrup. Then whisk in the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Pour the spice/maple syrup mixture over the apple slices, and toss lightly to combine and evenly distribute the spices.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker, and cook for 3-4 hours on low, or until the apples have softened but still retain their shape.
- Serve with your choice of ice cream.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours