This decadent breakfast bowl has all the comfort of homemade apple pie paired with the fresh tasting flavor of smoothie bowls. Cinnamon scented tart green apple makes up the base, and then we go crazy with the toppings adding crunchy cinnamon nut granola, seeds, fruit, and a drizzle of yogurt. It’s very creamy and tastes like a cross between a crisp and apple pie.
I made this recipe for my husband who has an undying love for all things apple pie. Over the years, I’ve started developing alternate recipes for that apple pie flavor he loves, but without the processed ingredients. We started with a Classic Apple Crisp (with a secret ingredient), and from there I moved on to develop both an Apple Pie in a Jar and an Apple Pie Energy Bar which are coming out in my e-book!
Since we drink smoothies pretty much everyday, I figured the natural progression was to make one of them into an apple pie version. But to make it even more enticing, I added toppings for the full smoothie bowl experience. I also think making any smoothie into a full scale bowl makes it the perfect weekend indulgence when there’s a little more time to linger over the breakfast table!
For the apples in the smoothie base, I cut them into quarters, cored them and then cut them into eighths. Then cut the eighths crosswise into quarters to create small chunks. This smoothie base is thick to support all the toppings, so it makes it easier to blend if you cut the apples into small chunks.
I like to add a half of an avocado into the smoothie base for two reasons:
- Super creamy results.
- Healthy fats to keep your energy steady all morning long.
Tip: Whenever I have a half of an avocado leftover I either cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for my smoothie the next day, or I add to my salad at lunch or dinner.
I used my Homemade Cinnamon Granola for the main topping in this recipe. We always have a batch of this around because it’s so versatile and it makes breakfast a breeze. One of my favorite time saving tips is to make 2 batches and freeze the extra for a couple weeks down the road. Cinnamon Granola also pairs really well with every smoothie I’ve tried it with, so you really can’t go wrong having it around. That way you’re just a couple minutes away from a fantastic smoothie bowl at anytime!
- 2 Granny Smith apples, chilled
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- ¼ cup chilled coconut water
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- ½ Teaspoon Vietnamese cinnamon
- ½ cup spinach, ½ ounce
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup Homemade Cinnamon Granola
- ½ - 1 whole Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 Tablespoon each chia and hemps hearts (also called hemp seeds)
- ½ cup coconut yogurt or Greek Yogurt
- Place all the smoothie base ingredients into a blender in the order listed. Start blending on low and work up to medium, you'll need to use the tamper to keep the mixture moving. Once there are no more chunks, continue to increase the speed until you get to high speed. Blend until the smoothie base is completely smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into 2 bowls and top with your choice of toppings. You can customize by adding more or less apple chunks, granola, and yogurt to your taste.
Don't worry about the small amount of spinach in the recipe, you can't taste it and it makes for the most beautiful color!
This recipe was first posted by Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2016 Get Inspired Everyday!. All Rights Reserved.