- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken, (I like dark meat)
- 1 onion, about 12 ounces, diced very small
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ancho chili powder, (or 1 additional Tablespoon chili powder)
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 Teaspoons sea salt
- 2 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes
- 1 – 28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 – 6 ounce can tomato paste
- lime wedges, cilantro, sliced avocado or guacamole, sour cream, grated cheddar
- Place the ground turkey, onions, garlic, spices, and sea salt in a 4-quart crockpot. Use a wooden spoon to break up the turkey and mix everything together.
- Cut the ends off the sweet potatoes and trim off any unsightly bits. Then, cut them into quarters lengthwise. Cut the quarters crosswise into chunks about 1 1/2 inches in size.
- Place the sweet potatoes over the top of the turkey mixture.
- Place the whole tomatoes and tomato paste in a blender and blend until combined but still chunky. Pour the tomato mixture over the top of the sweet potatoes and turn the crockpot to low.
- Cook for 8-10 hours, or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Taste the chili and add salt to your taste.
- Serve with any and all toppings you desire.