The Dry Ingredients:
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 Tablespoons golden flax seeds
The Wet Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups peanut butter
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
Salted Chocolate Frosting:
- 3/4 cup or 4.5 ounces chocolate chips, (I use Enjoy Life)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- Flaked sea salt for sprinkling over the top of the frosted bars
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Spread the oats evenly over a cookie sheet and toast for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Halfway through the cooking time, add the flax seeds to the oats and stir to prevent the edges from over browning.
- While the oats are toasting, combine the wet ingredients on the stove top. You don’t need to bring the mixture to a boil, just warm the mixture over medium heat to combine.
- When you take the oats out of the oven, pour them immediately into the peanut butter mixture on the stovetop. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Spread the mixture evenly over a parchment lined cookie sheet. Sometimes the mixture will set up too much to spread it over the whole cookie sheet, just spread it as far as it will go without a struggle. The only thing that’s affected is the thickness of your granola bars, so no big deal!
- While the granola bars set up, make the frosting on the stove top by combine the chocolate chips, almond milk, and coconut oil. Stir constantly over low heat just until the chocolate is melted.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the granola bars and let the frosting set up for a few hours for nice slices.
- If you want to eat one right away, cut a piece and sprinkle it with sea salt to enjoy immediately!
- Sprinkle the rest of the bars with sea salt after 2 hours – otherwise the sea salt has a tendency to melt into the frosting. Portion into bars about 2″x4″ big, the recipe will make anywhere from 20-25 bars.