A picture truly says a 1,000 words – I mean what could I tell you that the glistening pepperoni hasn’t already whispered in your ear!?! Yep… that’s it… it’s final – we’re having pizza bites for dinner! There’s no need to make a real meal when you can have nibbling snacks instead!
One of my favorite things about these is the crispy cheese lacing around the edges – it’s the perfect contrast to the melty-cheesy-pepperoni on top! And… I’ll tell you a secret – don’t make these whilst home alone unless you plan on eating every. single. one. Not that I speak from experience or anything, but I may or may not have eaten the entire pan after taking these pictures!
For the sweet potato rounds, you’re going to start by cooking them halfway before you top them. Once the bottoms are browned, you turn them over and start adding toppings!
I made these 2 different ways, the first time I put the pepperoni under the cheese and the second time I placed the pepperoni on the top – conclusion – it doesn’t make any difference really except that the pepperoni on top looks way better!
When these go back in the oven for the second time, you want to bake them until the cheese is molten on top, and crispy on the edges.
And since weekends are made for pizza, here’s some more pizza flavored inspiration!Print
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1-2 Teaspoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 5 Tablespoons marinara sauce
- 1 cup grated, packed mozzarella, weighing 2-3 ounces
- 15 slices of pepperoni, about 2 ounces
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and trim the sweet potatoes, and cut them into 1/2 inch slices. You should have about 15 slices.
- Brush the sweet potato slices with the oil and place them on the lined baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the bottoms have browned and the sweet potato slices are almost tender.
- Remove them from the oven and flip them over so the browned side is facing up. Top each slice with about 1 teaspoon of marinara sauce. Sprinkle the grated mozzarella evenly over the top of each sweet potato slice, and top with one slice of pepperoni each.
- Place the sweet potato slices back in the oven, and bake until the cheese is molten and the edges are crispy, about 5-8 minutes.
- Serve immediately!
You can cook the sweet potato slices to the halfway point and store them in the fridge if you want to plan ahead for a party.