This Easy Instant Pot BBQ Shredded Chicken is sure to become a new favorite. It’s also perfect for meal prepping as it freezes beautifully.
While fall is most definitely my favorite season, it doesn’t mean I don’t drag my feet a bit when summer comes to an end. With the temperatures getting colder around here, my thoughts turned to how to extend some of those summer flavors through the changing seasons.
A universal flavor everyone seems to miss is bbq. So with that in mind I put together a super easy bbq shredded chicken that’s cooked indoors, either in the Instant Pot or the stove top.
From there you can use the shredded chicken however you’d like. But if you’re craving a touch of summer, try it with baked potatoes and a simple slaw. Cabbage is usually very affordable in the winter months, so it’s the perfect way to get that ‘fresh’ factor back into your meals.
What to serve this with:
- Baked potato – I make them by poking them with a knife, then rubbing them in avocado/olive oil, placing them on a baking sheet, and baking at 350ºF for about 1 hour.
- For the slaw I made the creamy slaw from my Spicy Jalapeno Turkey Burgers recipe.
How to make BBQ Shredded Chicken in the Instant Pot:
- Add all the ingredients in the order listed.
- Set the pressure cook time.
- Release the pressure according to your manufacturers directions.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks, or using the paddle attachment in a mixer to shred the chicken very quickly.
- Serve with anything you love BBQ Chicken with. Baked potatoes and slaw are our current favorites.
Tips for the Instant Pot:
- To avoid getting a ‘Burn’ signal, place the ingredients in the Instant Pot in the order listed. The chicken stock goes in the bottom, and you can see in the photo above the bbq sauce goes on top of the chicken.
- Next don’t stir the sauce into the chicken stock. This creates a sauce that’s too thick and prone to give you a burn signal. By starting the cooking time with the bbq sauce on top, I haven’t had any problems.
Tips for shredding chicken:
- My go-to way to shred chicken is to place it all in a stand mixer. Then using the paddle attachment, turn the mixer on at low speed. Within 1-2 minutes it’s completely done!
- If you don’t have a stand mixer, no worries, just allow the chicken to cool a bit on a cutting board. Then using 2 forks, shred the chicken by hand. This takes a bit longer, but it’s not bad for just one meal. When I make double batches of shredded chicken, I really notice the time savings to use the stand mixer.
- To make any shredded chicken recipe on the stove top, start by sautéing the chicken on both sides.
- Then add the liquid, cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and reduce the liquid by half.
- Shred the chicken and add it back into the pan. Add bbq sauce (or whatever recipe you’re following) to taste and simmer just to combine.
This BBQ Shredded Chicken also freezes really well, and it’s now been added into my usual roundup of recipes for meal prepping. My other current favorites are Instant Pot Carnitas, Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa, and Instant Pot Rosemary Pork Ragú.
There’s nothing better than having a few frozen packages from these recipes to choose from when life gets extra busy!Print
Super easy shredded chicken that tastes like all the best flavors of summer!
1 1/2 cups chicken stock or bone broth
1 Teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, and sea salt
4–6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 3 1/2 pounds
1 1/2 cups of your favorite bbq sauce, try Primal Kitchen for Whole30 without sugar
Place the ingredients in the order listed into a 6 quart Instant Pot. Secure the lid and set to ‘sealing’.
Select the pressure cook button and add 15 minutes. When the time is up, let the Instant Pot naturally release for 10 minutes, then use the quick release function.
Carefully remove the chicken from the sauce, then set the Instant Pot to sauté mode to reduce the sauce. Let the sauce reduce for 5 minutes or until reduced by 1/2. While the sauce reduces, use 2 forks to shred the chicken. Or place it in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, turn the mixer on to low speed and mix just until shredded.
Turn off the Instant Pot, and then add the shredded chicken back into the sauce. Stir to combine and serve with your choice of sides. We served ours with baked potatoes and this creamy slaw recipe.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Paleo, Whole30, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Meal Prep