This Green Detox Smoothie has been my go-to reset after holidays and special occasions I’ve indulged! I find myself craving fresh fruits and veggies, and this smoothie is just the trick. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan and packs a punch of vitamins and nutrients. This smoothie as a light ‘meal’ in between bigger meals is a great way to regain your appetite. It also nourishes your body and gives it a break from heavier foods.
What’s your secret? I hear this question a lot during the holidays from people wanting to know how I can indulge without gaining lots of weight, or feeling bad from eating way too much rich food.
So… I’m going to let you in on the ‘secret’! I eat light meals in between the heavier ones. It’s so simple it barely qualifies as a ‘secret’, but there you have it! I often find myself having this Green Detox Smoothie after an indulgent meal. It’s fresh, and light, and it gets me right back on track.
This might sound crazy, but after a full-scale holiday meal, I drink a green smoothie for breakfast or lunch the next day. It helps me regain my balance, (and my appetite). Smoothies also give me a boost of nutrition from fresh fruits and vegetables.
I love to indulge, and I definitely don’t feel guilty about it. However, after too many heavy meals, I usually don’t feel as good and am low energy.
My way of coping with indulgences and staying healthy is to keep the indulgences spaced out, (balance). By eating lots of fresh raw produce, I feel great and I still enjoy all the occasions.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Apples – any apple you love works perfectly here. My favorites are Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, and Granny Smith. Or sub in cucumber to keep this smoothie lower in sugar.
- Oranges – add a boost of Vitamin C and tasty flavor. You can also use Mandarins or Tangerines as well.
- Spinach – or kale both work here, but I prefer the lighter flavor of spinach in this smoothie.
- Kombucha – adds both flavor and naturally occurring probiotics. I also love to use fresh orange juice here for a sweeter version and an extra boost of Vitamin C. Coconut water also is super tasty and perfect for electrolytes.
- Smoothie add-ons – try some of my Superfood Smoothie Boosters. My favorite thing to add to this smoothie is 1/4 of an avocado. It’s the perfect healthy fat to add to this smoothie. To make this creamier, you can add Greek yogurt for calcium or unsweetened almond milk. Protein powder is also another option that makes this more of a meal. Finally, add some extra fiber with some ground flax or chia seeds.
How to make this recipe step by step
Step 1: Add the ingredients in the order listed to a high-speed blender.
Step 2: Blend until smooth and enjoy right away for the best flavor.
Ways to serve this
- Make it more of a ‘meal’ by adding a bit of avocado as mentioned above.
- Serve it as part of a breakfast/brunch menu with something like my Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole.
Fruits and veggies are the perfect way to give your body a break and support your body to detox itself. There are no ‘detoxing’ ingredients here just the detoxing nature of fresh fruits and vegetables.
They can simply by increasing your intake of fresh fruits and veggies which are high in fiber they fill you up and nourish your body with vitamins and minerals.
- To store – green smoothies are best immediately, but you can refrigerate them for up to 4 hours. It will separate, just stir or shake it back together.
- To freeze – I don’t recommend freezing blended green smoothies. Try making my Freezer Smoothie Packs instead. This takes out the prep work and you’re always minutes from a smoothie.
Tips & Tricks
- Mix it up by subbing in pineapple for the apple for a more tropical flavor. Pineapple also gives you an extra boost of enzymes like bromelain.
- Add a superfood like barley grass juicy powder or Hawaiian spirulina. Or try fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro, (my favorite) but go light because they can be intense with flavor.
- Make it sweeter to taste by adding a banana in place of the apple.
I really hope you enjoy this Green Detox Smoothie! If you do get a chance to make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you in the comments.
Green Detox Smoothie
- 2 large oranges - peeled and quartered
- 1 large Honey Crisp apple - quartered and cored
- 16 ounce bottle of Kombucha - (ginger is my favorite flavor), see notes or 1-2 cups of orange juice added to your desired consistency
- 3 cups baby spinach - 3 ounces
- Add the spinach to the blended fruit and blend, increasing your speed to high and blend until smooth and creamy in texture.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 day.
This recipe was originally published in 2013 but has been updated in 2021 & 2023 with more information, tips, new photos, and nutrition information.