I have went through 30 pounds of grapefruit making this smoothie everyday for the last 2 weeks, it’s really that good! Just like most of my green smoothies, this one came around by accident. I was getting low on my fruit supply, but wanted to stay committed to my resolution to have a green smoothie everyday in January. So I used what I had, even through I thought it might be weird.
As it would turn out pineapple and grapefruit is a great combination, and it’s perfect for green smoothies. Both pineapple and grapefruit are really awesome at cutting through any green flavor. And because they’re both such strong flavors, I’ve been able to double and even triple the amount of greens I would normally put in a smoothie, yet it’s still sweet and delicious!
I’ve been using Ruby red grapefruit also know as pink grapefruit (there seems to be a lot of confusion in the labeling here) but any sweet and juicy grapefruit is perfect for this recipe.
I like to use a citrus reamer to juice the grapefruits for this recipe. You can peel them and put them in whole, but I’ve found that it makes the smoothie more or less bitter depending on the batch of grapefruit. The safest bet for an addictive smoothie is to juice the grapefruits, and you do get most of the pulp by juicing it this way.
For any green smoothie recipe, always put the juiciest ingredient on the bottom and the greens on the top. I don’t worry about picking out any of the smaller grapefruit seeds because the Vitamix pulverizes them.
And even though it comes out dark green, the taste is sweet and citrusy.
If you’ve been in a green smoothie rut lately like I’ve been, I hope you’ve found your new favorite here! And I’ll leave you with a few of my past obsessions in case you like a little variety in life, (unlike some people who are buying another 10 pounds of grapefruit tomorrow because I’m almost out again)!
- 4 cups fresh pineapple chunks, 1¼ pounds
- 3 large pink grapefruits, 2½ pounds
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 4 cups washed baby spinach, 4 ounces
- Place the pineapple chunks into a high powered blender.
- Cut the grapefruits in half and juice them, discarding any large seeds.
- Pour the grapefruit juice over the pineapple, then add the avocado and spinach.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Serve immediately for best flavor. This smoothie keeps well for up to 24 hours, so you can easily make it the night before and take it to work.
This recipe was first posted by Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2016 Get Inspired Everyday!. All Rights Reserved.