Packed with fresh flavor and easy to make, this Grapefruit Green Smoothie is a hit with kids as well. The pineapple and grapefruit create the perfect amount of flavor to ‘mask’ the greens making this an easy way to add more fresh fruits and veggies. It’s naturally dairy free and there’s no banana in this one either, just a touch of avocado for creaminess!
True story… I have went through 30 pounds of grapefruit making this smoothie everyday for the few weeks. It’s really that good! Just like most of my green smoothies, this one came around by chance.
I was getting low on groceries, but I still really wanted to make a green smoothie. I’ve been craving all things super fresh lately. So I used what I had on hand, even through I thought it might be a strange combo.
It turns out pineapple and grapefruit is a great combination and my new favorite. Both pineapple and grapefruit are really awesome at cutting through any green flavor. Now lets jump right in and make this step by step!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Pineapple – frozen works best here so your smoothie stays cold and creamy. You can use fresh, but I would recommend adding some ice in that case.
- Grapefruit – Is full of Vitamin C and antioxidants! I juice them using the glass juicer you’ll see in the photo below. But you can also use fresh grapefruit juice from the store. The advantage of juicing your own is you get way more pulp and fiber. I use pink grapefruit also know as ruby red grapefruit, but any grapefruit or citrus fruits like oranges, mandarins, etc. works here.
- Avocado – adds both creaminess and a healthy fat to the mix in this smoothie. You can also use a 1/2-1 cup Greek yogurt here in place of avocado. Or any dairy free yogurt works.
- Spinach – is my preferred green in this green smoothie but you can use kale (to taste, it’s much stronger) if you’d like.
How to make this Grapefruit Green Smoothie recipe step by step
Step 1: Start by cutting the grapefruits in half and juicing them with a reamer. I recommend the ones like the above photo rather than the hand held wooden ones because they’re easier and faster.
Step 2: Add the frozen pineapple, grapefruit juice, avocado, and fresh spinach to a high powered blender.
Step 3: Blend until smooth and enjoy right away for the best flavor.
Ways to serve this
- I love this as a snack, or as a 1st/2nd breakfast. Since smoothies are on the light side, I’ll have a smoothie, then a couple hours later have a 2nd breakfast. It also makes a great grab and go kind of light lunch.
- For breakfast or brunch alongside other things like my Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole, or Mexican Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls.
Yes! You can add any protein powder you like the flavor of that is on the neutral side. For example, you wouldn’t want to add a chocolate protein powder here, but vanilla or plain would work well. I like to add Hawaiian spirulina to this smoothie.
I like to add Hawaiian spirulina to this smoothie. But barely grass juice powder or a sprinkle of bee pollen on top would be good as well. You can also add chia seeds or ground flax for added fiber. For more inspiration, check out my Superfood Smoothie Boosters post.
Yes they can be, and this is a common question! I have seen this play out 2 ways, I personally have lost weight drinking green smoothies. I’ve seen others that were looking to gain weight be able to with green smoothies. By adding more fruits and veggies to your diet it can change your body composition for the better! (Not advice just anecdotal observations.)
- To store – this smoothie is best right away but can be refrigerated for 4 hours or so.
- Make ahead – have your greens washed and you can even juice the grapefruit the night before. That way you can make this smoothie in under 5 minutes.
- To freeze – try making this recipe in a Freezer Smoothie Pack. Leave out the grapefruit juice and add it in fresh when you go to blend your smoothie. Also you might need a bit more liquid when more ingredients are frozen.
Tips & Tricks
- Check out my How to Make a Smoothie for more tips as well as my Make Your Own Freezer Smoothie Packs and Superfood Smoothie Boosters.
- Try buying frozen avocado cubes to have on hand in the freezer. This way you never need to worry about your avocados going bad!
- Buy fresh bottled grapefruit juice as a super quick shortcut.
- And of course… pre-washed greens save the day for prep work!
More green smoothie recipe inspiration
I really hope you enjoy this Grapefruit Green Smoothie! If you do get a chance to make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you in the comments.Print
Grapefruit Green Smoothie
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 7–8 cups 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
4 cups fresh pineapple chunks, 1 1/4 pounds
3 large pink grapefruits, 2 1/2 pounds
1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
4 cups washed baby spinach, 4 ounces
Place the pineapple chunks into a high powered blender.
Cut the grapefruits in half and juice them, discarding any large seeds. You will have about 1 1/2-2 cups average.
Pour the grapefruit juice over the pineapple, then add the avocado and spinach.
Blend until completely smooth.
Serve immediately for best flavor. This smoothie keeps well for up to 24 hours, so you can easily make it the night before and take it to work.
1-2 small slices of fresh ginger are really tasty in this smoothie.
You don’t have to use the avocado in this smoothie but I like to use it for 2 reasons. The first being that healthy fats help you absorb nutrients better, and the second reason is that it helps the smoothie to keep for a few hours if necessary. Without the avocado the greens start to oxidize, and the flavor isn’t as good after 1-2 hours.
You can also sub in 1-2 cups orange juice to taste in place of the grapefruit juice.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pink Grapefruit Green Smoothie, Grapefruit Pineapple Smoothie, Grapefruit Pineapple Green Smoothie
This recipe was originally published in 2016, but has been updated with nutritional information, tips, and new photos in 2022.
24 thoughts on “Grapefruit Green Smoothie”
I made this today instead of juicing the grapefruit I tossed them all in the blender. After blending it a bit then adding the rest of the ingredients it was a tight fit also I didnt have pineapple so I substituted for frozen mango and frozen blueberries. After it was a bit too grapefruity so I had pineapple juice added a can in and added chia seeds. It was yummy. Next time I’ll try juicing the grapefruit instead of putting the entire 3 grapefruits.
Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for taking the time to write out your variations, sounds delicious!
That is FASCINATING about the avocado and how it keeps greens from oxidizing!
Looking forward to trying this
It works surprisingly well, I sure hope you enjoy this one!
Can I store this smoothie in the fridge overnight to drink in the morning?
This grapefruit smoothie does hold up pretty well for up to 1 day in the refrigerator compared to a lot of different combos I’ve tried, but I do have to say it always tastes better right away! I sure hope you enjoy it, and let me know if you have anymore questions!
The white part in citrus is called the pith. It is the rine of the fruit.
Thanks for clarifying!
I’ve tried this combination for a smoothie it’s great, I love it. But if grapefruit is not available try limes lemons or star fruit, it adds a nice citrus tart sweet flavor as well.
Thank you for the great suggestions! I rarely find starfruit where I live but I’ll be on the lookout to give that a try as well. 🙂
Hey, love this..What can one substitute the grapefruit with? Not, easily available in Nairobi Kenya.
Grapefruit has a unique flavor, but you could try oranges as well. I’m not sure what you have available, so maybe you could let me know what you have and I can try to figure out what would work best! 🙂