Only 5 minutes to whisk together this silky smooth and super tasty Honey Mustard Sauce. From there the sky it the limit for how to use this flavorful sauce. It’s wonderful with all sorts of things from the grill or roasted in the oven. Try it with chicken, pork, or drizzled over roasted vegetables. It also makes a wonderful salad dressing with my variation below as well as a great pasta salad. So stick around and enjoy this sweet, savory, and creamy wonder of a sauce.
I originally made this Honey Mustard Sauce to go with my Smoked Chicken Breasts. But I quickly found all sorts of ways to use it. It’s so tasty you may well find you’re putting it on everything as well!
It’s incredibly easy to make with pantry ingredients, and it keeps for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. It really is a winner all around and a classic flavor combo that never gets old.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Dijon mustard – will give you the best subtle flavor here. However you can use a mix of Dijon and yellow mustard, or you could also sub in a whole grain mustard if desired.
- Honey – is key for the whole ‘honey – mustard’ combo, however you can also use pure maple syrup here or even agave nectar if you can’t have honey.
- Mayonnaise – adds a touch of creaminess and makes this sauce silky smooth, I don’t recommend subbing anything here.
- Smoked paprika – or plain paprika both work here, but smoked paprika really is worth having in your spice cabinet.
- White wine vinegar – or champagne vinegar both work here. Red wine vinegar would also work but it may affect the color. I prefer not to use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar in this case because they’re too overwhelming.
How to make this recipe step by step
Step 1: Start by adding all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl.
Step 2: Then mix or whisk to completely combine. And that’s it, you’re all done!
Step 3: Transfer the sauce to a container for serving or storing.
Ways to serve this
- Serve it with any grilled or roasted meat like Easy Herb Roasted Chicken or my Smoked Chicken Breasts, or any grilled pork chops, shrimp, or beef. It’s also great in place of the bbq sauce on my Easy Oven Baked Ribs. And of course it’s perfect with either chicken nuggets or breaded chicken tenders.
- Try it drizzled over roasted vegetables like my Roasted Asparagus, Oven Roasted Carrots, or Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
- Use it in your favorite lettuce wraps like my BLAT Lettuce Wrap in place of the Ranch mayo or in a lettuce wrap burger in place of the burger sauce. Or use it to make a pasta salad, I like to add it to a BLT pasta salad with cooked pasta, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, crumbled bacon. Then toss it with this dressing and add a touch more white wine vinegar to taste so it isn’t too sweet.
It’s usually made up of mustard, mayonnaise, honey, vinegar, and spices.
It’s perfect as a dip for veggies or drizzle over cooked veggies. It’s also great with chicken nuggets, or any grilled or roasted meats as well as a sauce for ribs. Also you’ll definitely want to try this sauce with sandwiches or wraps.
Honey mustard sauce is usually a bit thicker and sweeter than honey mustard dressing. Honey mustard sauce is based out of mustard, honey, and mayonnaise where the dressing is usually oil based. However you can easily turn my Honey Mustard Sauce into a dressing by adding more white wine vinegar to taste!
- To store – place the leftover sauce into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Freeze – I haven’t frozen this sauce because it keeps well for a while and things with mayonnaise tend not to freeze well.
Tips & Tricks
- Try this as a salad dressing by whisking in a bit more white wine vinegar to taste.
- We love this sauce best with Dijon mustard, but that’s just personal preference. Definitely try mixing this up with a bit of yellow or whole grain mustard subbed in for some of the Dijon mustard.
I really hope you enjoy this Honey Mustard Sauce! If you do get a chance to make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you in the comments.
Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic - minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1-2 tsp white wine vinegar - to taste
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Transfer the sauce into a serving container and enjoy!