This Easy Chicken Zucchini Stir Fry is better than take-out, and the perfect way to get an easy, healthy meal on the table. It also makes use of lots of zucchini which is perfect for this time of year. But you can also use a mix of whatever veggies you have on hand. It’s made with real food ingredients with no added sugar!
My whole idea behind this recipe was to use up lots and lots of zucchini! I usually love to add a mix of veggies to stir fries. But since it’s the height of summer, this one features zucchini, with nothing more than flavor enhancers.
Ginger, garlic, and onion make up the aromatics in this stir fry. And I kept the sauce super simple too, so it makes a perfect weeknight recipe. The zucchini is sautéed until it’s crisp tender before the sauce is added. This works great because the more tender centers of the zucchini soak up the sauce and make this stir fry hard to stop eating.
So if you’re swimming in zucchini, this recipe is for you. And in case you missed it, my 35 Healthy Zucchini Recipes should provide a bit more inspiration as well. We have 3 zucchini plants + a CSA from a local farmer, so we definitely have ‘just a bit’ of zucchini right now!
Now let’s talk about ingredients for a quick second:
- Fresh – do you really need fresh garlic and ginger? And while I like to keep things simple, the answer really is a big YES! They are the main flavor drivers in this recipe, so fresh really pays dividends.
- Onion – I used red onion for testing purposes, but I’ve also used green onion which was really good too. Just slice up the green and white parts separately and add the green parts right at the end of the cooking time.
- Chicken – you can also use pork, beef, or shrimp here because the flavors go well with pretty much anything, including vegetarian options as well.
And now let’s jump in, and make this Easy Chicken Zucchini Stir Fry!
First up you want to prep all of your ingredients before you start cooking. This stir fry cooks really fast, so you’ll want everything ready to add to the pan when you need it.
Next up, brown the chicken before removing it from the pan. From there you’re going to sauté the garlic, ginger, and onion briefly before adding the zucchini.
When the zucchini is barely tender, add the sauce and chicken to the pan and cook stirring constantly until the sauce is mostly absorbed.
Tip: Cook everything over high heat for the best seared flavor. Also high heat helps to cook the zucchini to a crisp tender rather than soggy.
- Steamed jasmine or sticky rice
- Cauliflower rice
- On it’s own, we’ve been eating this one straight up without any kind of rice at all!
More Stir Fry Inspiration:
- Sweet Chili Chicken Stir Fry
- Easy Gluten Free Ramen Stir Fry
- Ethiopian Berbere Chicken Stir Fry
- Whole30 Thai Basil Chicken Stir Fry
- Potsticker Stir Fry
- Healthier Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry
- Honey Garlic Chicken and Veggie Sheet Pan Stir Fry
- Cashew Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry
- Rainbow Orange Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry
- Whole30 Sweet and Sour Stir Fry
So I sure hope you’ll enjoy this one! And if you do get a chance to make it, I hope you’ll leave me a comment/rating below. I always love hearing from you here in the comments. And also over on Instagram where you can tag me at #getinspiredeveryday with your photos of what you make.Print
This stir fry is simple to make and is the perfect easy, healthy weeknight meal that’s better than take-out!
1–2 Tablespoons avocado oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2” cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon minced ginger
1 red onion, diced into 1/4” dice, 3 cups
4 zucchini, 1 1/2 pounds, cut into half moon slices, 6 cups
1/4 cup coconut aminos
1 Teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
Start by prepping all the ingredients before beginning to cook. Mix the sauce ingredients together and set them aside.
Preheat a large non-stick frying pan, (15″) over medium high heat until hot, but not smoking. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan along with the chicken. Turn the heat to high, and cook stirring only as the chicken browns. When the chicken is done, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
If needed add the second tablespoon of oil to the pan to fry the garlic, ginger, and onion together. Cook over high heat stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes. Lower the heat if necessary to keep the mixture from browning.
Add the zucchini to the pan, and cook over high heat, stirring as they brown for 3-5 minutes, or until crisp tender. Add the chicken back to the pan along with the sauce. Cook stirring constantly to mix, and most of the sauce will be absorbed.
Remove the pan from the heat and serve immediately.
The nutrition information is calculated with 2 tablespoons avocado oil.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Chicken Stir Fry with Zucchini, Chicken and Zucchini Stir Fry, Chicken Zucchini Stir Fry Recipe