Pineapple Orange Banana was my favorite flavor of juice when I was a kid, but these days we’re more nutrition savvy, and juice is no longer the breakfast staple it once was. Enter the smoothie… complete with all the fiber, and packed with vitamins and minerals!
I don’t have anything against juice per se, but now that I know there are better options, I tend to steer clear of it (except for fresh pressed juices of course). Regular store bought juice is essentially liquid fruit sugar, and because it’s been pasteurized you’re missing a lot of the live enzymes, along with the vitamins and minerals.
The great thing about smoothies is they’re so much easier to make than making your own juice first thing in the morning. We try to make a couple of green juices at home every week, but I always rely on smoothies to get plenty of produce from day to day.
So if you’re not feeling like a green smoothie first thing, give this one a try – the tropical flavor is bound to pick up your winter blues!
One of my favorite ways to have 2 different flavors from 1 smoothie, is to make this recipe as it’s written and pour half of it into 2 pint jars, (1 for me and 1 for my husband). Next, I add a couple handfuls of baby spinach to the blender with the remaining half of the smoothie along with about a cup of coconut water. After it’s blended I portion it into 2 containers, that way we get a fruit smoothie for breakfast, and a green smoothie for mid-morning!
- 1 pound of fresh pineapple chunks, about 3½ cups
- 2 large bananas, peeled
- 1 large orange, peeled and quartered weighing 12 ounces
- 1 cup either coconut yogurt (for vegan & dairy free) or greek yogurt
- 1-2 cups ice cubes
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- If your fruit is at room temperature, you may want to add some ice cubes to your smoothie. Add the ice only after you've blended the fruit, otherwise there's not enough room in the blender.
This recipe was first posted by Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2016 Get Inspired Everyday!. All Rights Reserved.