The weekend is looking extra good with these Healthy Banana Oatmeal Pancakes! They’re naturally gluten free and dairy free as well as whole grain. They’re full of flavor, nice and fluffy, and so good with syrup. And just in case you can’t have grain/oats, head over to my 4-Ingredient Banana Pancakes which are paleo and nut free.
‘Makin’ Banana Pancakes on the weekend or pretend that it’s the weekend, yeah’. These are great for a lazy weekend morning as well easing the Monday morning blues. I’m not much of a breakfast person during the week. But sometimes a little something out of the ordinary in the form of pancakes and extra espresso is definitely in order.
The best part of this recipe is that it takes less than 10 minutes to prep. And before you know it, you have pancakes in the skillet. You just throw everything in the blender for a few seconds and that’s it! And whenever I’m making these banana pancakes it reminds me of Jack Johnson’s – Banana Pancakes song. It just sets the tone for the whole day.
Let’s get started by talking about the ingredients for these Healthy Banana Oatmeal Pancakes!
- Bananas – make up the base of these pancakes. And they add some natural sweetness as well which is nice because you don’t need quite as much maple syrup.
- Eggs – create the structure to these pancakes and hold everything together along with providing some protein too.
- Coconut milk – or any milk of choice works here to add a little hydration to the oats.
- Rolled oats – are what we’re using here in place of the usual all purpose flour. But don’t worry… these aren’t ‘health food pancakes’ if you know what I mean! Oats make for great texture in pancakes once they’re blended up and it means you pancakes are whole grain too.
- Cinnamon – just a touch of spice is so good with the banana flavor here. We love cinnamon, but we’ve also used ground cardamom here a lot too.
- Baking powder – adds the perfect amount of fluffy to these pancakes. I know some oatmeal pancakes go super simple without any type of leavening. But I think a bit of baking powder goes a long ways towards a great pancake.
Now we’re ready to make this recipe step by step:
Measure out and prep all the ingredients.
Add all of the ingredients to the blender. You want to add the ingredients in the order listed, that way the liquids blend together smoothly before the oats hit the blades which keeps the batter moving well in the blender.
Blend until the oatmeal has been well combined into a pancake batter with small pieces of oats remaining.
Cook the pancakes over medium heat and serve with syrup!
Tips for the perfect oatmeal pancakes:
- Let the batter sit for a few minutes. This allows the oats to hydrate and soak up the liquid a bit.
- Keep the pancakes small. There’s no flour or gluten here to ‘hold things together’, so it’s much easier to flip these pancakes when they’re small. I find around the 4-5″ mark is about perfect.
- Cook them until bubbles form before flipping. Again these are a bit more fragile than all purpose flour pancakes. So it’s extra important to cook the pancakes until bubbles form across the tops before flipping them. If you try to turn them too soon, you’ll struggle and break some.
- Serve them as you cook them. I’ve found these get heavier in texture as they sit, which is also true for most pancakes. So if you want the best fluffiest pancakes, serve them hot straight off the griddle.
Serve these with:
Need to use up more ripe bananas, try some of our favorites below!
- Gluten Free Banana Cake with Fudge Frosting
- Paleo Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Coconut Banana Nice Cream
- Pineapple Orange Banana Smoothie
- Caramelized Banana Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
I really hope you enjoy these pancakes, they make the best brunch! And if you do get a chance to make them, I hope you’ll leave me a comment/rating below. I always love hearing from you here! Also for lots more breakfast recipes, head over to the recipe index.Print
Breakfast never looked so good with these whole grain easy to make banana pancakes!
Place ingredients in the blender in the order listed. Blend on low until combined. Increase speed to medium for a few seconds, small pieces of oats should remain.
Cook pancakes in a nonstick pan over medium heat. For crispy edges, add some butter to the pan.
Keep the pancake size to about 4 inches across. Cook for a few minutes until bubbles appear in the center of the pancakes.
Flip the pancakes and cook until the middle is done, 2-3 minutes. Repeat this process until the batter is gone.
Serve immediately as you cook them.
This recipe makes about 18 small 4″ pancakes, but can easily be doubled.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Healthy Banana Pancakes, Banana Oat Pancakes, Blender Oatmeal Pancakes, Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
This recipe was originally published in 2013, but has been updated with new photos, information, tips, and nutritional information in 2021.