All the classic sandwich flavors piled into these Banh Mi Burger Bowls are simply perfect for Banh Mi cravings year round! These are the perfect gluten free, dairy free, and paleo option to have all these awesome flavors made into an easy bowl meal. These burger bowls are also simply loaded with fresh veggies and herbs. And it’s all topped off with sriracha mayo, making them simply irresistible.
Have you ever had a burger bowl before? They were new to me not that long ago, but they’re now something I now make almost every single week of the year! They’re basically all the things you’d want on a burger piled into a bowl.
This means there’s room for even more toppings and sauce because you’re not trying to hold it all together with a bun. I’m all about more sauce myself, so burger bowls are where it’s at. Also if you’re gluten free, they’re the perfect option. And they’re so much tastier than a gluten free bun, (in my opinion)!
We often make my In and Out Style Burger Lettuce Wraps all piled into a bowl. But we also like to mix it up with other flavors like my Aloha Teriyaki Burger Bowls too. And so the natural next choice for us was Banh Mi flavors because we’re both crazy about Banh Mi sandwiches!
Let’s get started by talking about the ingredients
- Veggies – For these burger bowls I like to to use any kind of softer lettuce for the base. I have tons of mixed greens each week from our farm CSA share, so that’s what I’ve been using. They’re super tasty and the just the right texture. But red or green leaf, or even butter lettuce would work well here. You could use romaine, but it’s just too crunchy for my taste in these bowls. From there we add cucumbers and quick pickled carrots just like the traditional sandwich. I don’t make full blown pickled carrots just to keep things simple and quick. I’ve also had lots of radishes around so I’ve been adding those, but they’re not traditional or necessary. They do add a nice crunch though!
- Fresh Herbs – The best flavors always come from using basil, cilantro, and mint. However unless you’ve just been to the farmer’s market or have herbs growing in your backyard this is super impractical and not budget friendly! So if you’re heading to the store just choose one. My choices would be basil or cilantro, with cilantro being the most budget friendly.
- Burger Patties – I like to use ground pork here for the burgers because of it’s great flavor, and it stays nice and juicy on the grill. You can use ground chicken or turkey, but be really careful to oil your grill and don’t let them dry out. Pork really is the ultimate in this case! Or you can also use my Saté Chicken from my Banh Mi Slaw, (but of course it’s now longer a burger bowl, instead you’ll have a tasty salad).
- Sriracha Mayo – There are a few options here. First up you can use any good quality mayo mixed together with sriracha to your taste. Or secondly you can make your own using my sriracha mayo recipe found in my Mango Veggie Sushi Bowls.
Now let’s make these Banh Mi Burger Bowls step by step
We’re going to get started by prepping the veggies for the bowls. Tear the lettuce and cut the cucumbers into small bite sized pieces. Grate the carrots and toss them together with the rice vinegar and optional maple syrup. Let the carrots sit for a quick ‘pickled’ carrot of sorts!
Next mix the sriracha with your choice of mayo. I like to use my mayo recipe that’s found in my Mango Veggie Sushi Bowls with Sriracha Mayo recipe. You can also buy good quality avocado mayo from the store now to speed things up as well.
Tip: You can place the sriracha mayo into a squeeze bottle for nice clean lines that look nice. But for most meals I just spoon it over the top of my bowl!
Then remove the stems from the herbs and chop them up together. We love using basil, mint, and cilantro with Banh Mi flavors, but you can also choose just one.
If I’m making these during the warmers months, I have loads of fresh herbs from my garden. But it’s really not practical to buy all 3 from the store, so I just choose cilantro for the most budget friendly option.
Next preheat the grill and mix the ingredients for the burgers together and form into patties.
When the grill is ready, place the burgers on the grill and cook until they’re easy to flip, about 5-6 minutes.
Once you flip the burgers, cook until they’re done in the center, about 5-6 more minutes. Then serve everything together family style so each person can assemble their own bowl!
More Banh Mi inspired recipes
- Banh Mi Cucumber Subs
- Banh Mi Lettuce Wraps
- Sticky Vietnamese Caramel Chicken (perfect for salad or the above cucumber subs)
- Banh Mi Slaw with Creamy Sriracha Dressing
- Banh Mi Salad Bowls with Sriracha Lime Dressing
Finally some more burger recipe inspiration
- In and Out Style Burger Lettuce Wraps
- Spicy Jalapeno Turkey Burgers with Creamy Slaw
- Feta Gyro Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce
- Pesto Turkey Burgers with Sweet Potato Buns
- Caprese Turkey Burgers
I really hope you enjoy these Banh Mi Burger Bowls! And if you do get a chance to make them, I hope you’ll leave me a comment/rating below. I always love hearing from you here!Print
Banh Mi Burger Bowls
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
All the classic sandwich flavors piled into these Banh Mi Burger Bowls are simply perfect for Banh Mi cravings year round! These are the perfect gluten free, dairy free, and paleo option to have all these awesome flavors made into an easy bowl meal. These burger bowls are also simply loaded with fresh veggies and herbs and all topped off with sriracha mayo making them simply irresistible.
4 cups cucumber, cut into bite sized pieces
6 cups mixed greens, or green/red leaf lettuce, bite sized pieces
3–4 radishes, thinly sliced, optional
1 cup grated carrots, 2 medium
2 tablespoons rice vinegar, and 1 tablespoon optional maple syrup
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, I used a mix of basil, cilantro, and mint, see notes
1 jalapeno, thinly slice, optional
1/2 cup mayo of choice, I like to use an avocado oil mayo
1–4 tablespoons of sriracha, to your taste
Banh Mi Burgers:
1 pound ground pork
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sriracha
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons sliced green onions
Prep the veggies and set them aside. For the carrots, toss them together with the rice vinegar and optional maple syrup and set them aside for a quick ‘pickle’.
Next stir the mayo together with sriracha to your taste and set it aside in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
Preheat the grill over hight heat. Meanwhile mix together all the ingredients for the burgers and form the mixture into 4 patties.
When the grill has reached 400ºF place the burgers on the grill and turn it down to medium to maintain a steady temperature between 350º-400ºF.
Grill the burgers until they’re easy to turn over, about 5-6 minutes. Flip the burgers and grill until just done in the centers, about 5-6 more minutes.
Serve the burgers along with the salad ingredients and sriracha mayo family style so everyone can make up their own bowl.
You can use one herb of choice here too, basil and cilantro are my first choices for stand alone herbs. You can also cut back the amount of fresh herbs to as little as 1/4 cup when fresh herbs aren’t plentiful.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Banh Mi Recipes, Banh Mi Burgers, Burger Bowl Recipes, Vietnamese Burger Recipe, Pork Banh Mi Burger