The classic family dinner made budget friendly, this Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe is complete with 2 different dairy free options as well! It’s super easy to make, perfect comfort food, and gluten free too. We love serving it tossed with freshly cooked pasta, or steamed rice, and it’s really delicious over these Roasted Sweet Potatoes as well. Add a simple side dish like my Perfect Roasted Asparagus, Roasted Broccoli, or Oven Roasted Carrots to complete the meal.
Did you know the classic recipe for stroganoff is made with steak? Well… I was an adult before I figured this out because my mom always made stroganoff with ground beef growing up. And you know what? It’s so good, I find myself thinking, why would you waste steak in stroganoff? Especially when it’s so incredibly delicious and budget friendly with ground beef.
This recipe for ground beef stroganoff is a slight departure from authentic, but you won’t be disappointed with the flavor. And when you do decide to have steak, try serving it with my Rosemary Mushroom Cream Sauce for a special dinner. This stroganoff is naturally gluten free, with 2 dairy free options, and a paleo option as well.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Ground beef – I like to use 85/15 ground beef so I don’t have to drain off any of the extra grease and still have great flavor. If you use a leaner ground beef, you may need to add a bit of butter or olive oil to the pan to sauté the onions.
- Onions & garlic – add depth of flavor to the sauce.
- Mushrooms – I use sliced cremini mushrooms for a bit more flavor, but white button mushrooms work well too. Fresh mushrooms will give you all the flavor you need, and it’s much healthier than adding cream of mushroom soup.
- Fresh thyme – or dried both work, but fresh thyme adds a bit more magic to the sauce. Also rosemary is really delicious and a completely unconventional way to mix things up.
- Flour – I use gluten free 1 to 1 from Bob’s Red Mill, but Cup4Cup, (not dairy free) works too. You can also use 1-2 teaspoons tapioca starch mixed together with 1 tablespoon of water for paleo.
- Broth – beef broth is best for flavor, but I’ve also used chicken broth in a pinch and it’s still delicious.
- Sour cream – You can use any sour cream you love. I prefer to use the ‘lactose free’ sour cream from Green Valley Creamery because we don’t get an upset stomach with this brand. You can also use your favorite dairy free sour cream, or follow the instructions in the recipe for how to use coconut cream mixed with a touch of lemon juice for paleo.
Note: Most stroganoff recipes use a touch of Worcestershire sauce, but I’ve found it very difficult to find any brand without a lot of additives, and you don’t notice when you leave it out. Also if you’re used to adding Dijon mustard to Stroganoff, please feel free to add it!
How to make this recipe step by step
Step 1: Start by cleaning and slicing the mushrooms. Set them aside, then mince the garlic and finely dice the onion.
Step 2: Sauté the ground beef breaking it up into small bits as you go. Drain off any excess grease if needed, leaving 2 tablespoons or so in the pan to cook the onion. Add the onion and garlic and cook again until just softened, 3-4 minutes.
Step 3: Then add the sliced mushrooms and thyme and sauté until they just begin to soften, 2-4 minutes. Add the flour and mix well to combine.
Step 4: Add the beef broth and simmer until the mushrooms are tender and the sauce is lightly thickened. If you’re using the coconut cream, add it in this step with the beef broth.
Step 5: Add the sour cream of choice. If you’re using (dairy) sour cream, it’s important to add it once the pan is off the heat.
Step 6: Stir well to combine, then sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley for color if desired and serve immediately.
Ways to serve this
- Tossed together with freshly cooked pasta. We love the Jovial brand and often toss this stroganoff with the farfalle, (bowties) casarecce, or fettuccini.
- Over freshly steamed rice, Best Mashed Potatoes, or for paleo we love this over my Roasted Sweet Potatoes.
- Add a veggie side dish with my Perfect Roasted Asparagus, Roasted Broccoli, or Oven Roasted Carrots.
Yes but I would add it along with the beef broth to allow it to simmer and thicken up. It will have a creamier flavor without the tang of sour cream, so you may want to consider the white wine variation listed in the recipe as well.
Traditionally is a beef gravy type of sauce thickened with flour and made creamy with sour cream and served with egg noodles.
You can use a dairy free sour cream, but my favorite way to make this stroganoff dairy free is to use coconut cream (unsweetened) with touch of fresh lemon juice. Simmered together with the beef broth, this makes the best non dairy substitute for sour cream in stroganoff.
- To store – place any leftovers into a sealed container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freeze – mushrooms don’t freeze well so I don’t recommend freezing stroganoff.
- To reheat – place the leftovers you want to reheat in a skillet over medium heat and stir constantly until heated through. If the stroganoff is tossed together with pasta, add a few tablespoons of water to the pan while you reheat it. Or you can also microwave the leftovers.
Tips & Tricks
- Try my ‘fancy’ stroganoff by replacing half the broth with white wine, it adds incredible depth of flavor.
- Add the sour cream off the heat – allowing sour cream to boil can cause it to separate into curdled bits. Also you can allow the sour cream to sit out at room temperature as you make the stroganoff. This way there’s not such a big temperature difference when you add it to the pan which can cause sour cream to curdle as well.
I really hope you enjoy this Ground Beef Stroganoff! If you do get a chance to make this recipe, please leave a review, I’d love to hear from you in the comments.
well! It’s super easy to make, perfect comfort food, and gluten free too. We love serving it tossed with freshly cooked pasta, or steamed rice, and it’s really delicious over these Roasted Sweet Potatoes as well. Add a simple side dish like my Perfect Roasted Asparagus, Roasted Broccoli, or Oven Roasted Carrots to complete the meal.
1 pound ground beef, I use 85/15
1 cup finely diced onion, 1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 ounces crimini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced 1/4″, about 15
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
2 tablespoons gluten free flour, or all-purpose, see notes
2 cups low sodium beef broth, see notes
12 ounces sour cream, see notes
1 teaspoon sea salt, more or less to taste depending on the broth
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Optional chopped fresh parsley to garnish
Prep all the ingredients, then preheat a large (15″) skillet over medium high heat.
Add the ground beef to the pan and break it up into small bits as it cooks. When the beef is almost done, add the chopped onion and garlic.
Cook again 2-3 minutes until the onions are beginning to soften, then add the sliced mushrooms and thyme. Continue to cook until the mushrooms are just softening, 3-4 minutes, then stir in the flour to completely combine.
Add the beef broth to the pan and stir to combine. If you’re using the coconut milk option from the notes, add it at the same time as the beef broth.
Simmer until the mushrooms are tender and the sauce is slightly thickened, 8-10 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sour cream, (unless you’re using coconut cream) and season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with the optional parsley and serve immediately.
I use Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour.
For a ‘fancy’ stroganoff, try replacing 1 cup beef broth with 1 cup dry white wine, (not a sweet variety).
You can use your choice of dairy free yogurt or sour cream in place of regular, or use 1 cup of coconut cream skimmed from the top of 1 can refrigerated coconut milk along with 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice. If you use the coconut cream, add it at the same time as the beef broth.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easy Stroganoff, Dairy Free Stroganoff, Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff, Gluten Free Stroganoff