Pumpkin Chai Latte Base:
- 2 Teaspoons ground Indian Chai tea mix*
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 6 Tablespoons of maple syrup
- a pinch of sea salt – less than 1/8 Teaspoon
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
Optional but delicious toppings:
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the pumpkin latte base in a medium sized pan.
- Heat the mixture over medium-high heat for 6-10 minutes or until the mixture is hot but not boiling.
- To make the latte frothy, you can whisk it vigorously while it’s heating up and there will be a layer of foam on top, or you can place it in a blender to add more foam. If you have an espresso machine or a milk frother that’s the best option for good thick foam.
- After frothing, pour the finished latte mixture into 4 glasses, top with whipped cream and drizzle with caramel sauce.
- For added presentation, you can ‘paint’ lines of caramel sauce up the sides of each glass for a striped look.
- I make the soft version of my coconut whipped cream for drinks because the firmer version tends to sink right into your drink!
*It’s important that the chai tea you’re using doesn’t have any added sugar or dairy, you want a mix with just the spices and tea!
You will have leftovers of both the whipped cream and the caramel sauce, but it’s no problem finding a use for them! The caramel sauce makes a good sweetener for an apple crisp, and you can use the whipped cream for topping it.
I’ve made this latte several times without the toppings, and it’s good that way as well if you’re not in the mood to make the toppings!