- 1 bunch of carrots, 1 pound, less than 1″ in diameter
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh sage, 2 grams
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut off the carrot tops leaving a small amount of green for presentation if you’d like. Wash and peel them, then place them on the baking sheet.
- Melt the butter in a small, light colored saucepan over medium-high heat. Swirl the pan or whisk often until the butter turns golden brown.
- Add the sage and maple syrup and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the glaze over the carrots and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until crisp tender. Check the carrots halfway through the baking time, and if the gaze is browning too much on the edges, rotate the carrots and stir glaze into the middle of the baking sheet before returning the pan to the oven to finish roasting.
- Serve immediately.
If your carrots are bigger than 1″ diameter, slice them into 1/4″ thick rounds and roast them that way instead. Thicker carrots will take too long to roast and the glaze will burn before the carrots are tender.
Sometimes I put these carrots over a bowl of polenta or risotto. When I serve them this way, I make a bit more glaze by increasing the butter to 3 Tablespoons and the maple syrup to 2 Tablespoons.